Need of Oral Iodine Supplement
Iodine is an essential element, but your body can not make it. Therefore, Iodine must come from your Diet. As very little Iodine exists in naturally occurring food, it must be made available to the body either in the form of fortified foods (such as Iodised Salt) or oral Iodine supplement.
Most of the world’s iodine is in the ocean; seaweed contains most of it.
Health Benefits of Iodine Supplement
Iodine is an essential mineral. Therefore, its Supplementation helps you recover from Iodine deficiency.
The primary health benefits of Iodine Supplement is to prevent & fulfil the Iodine requirement by the body and to treat goitre & other thyroid disorders.
Iodine Deficiency or Lack of Iodine may cause:
- An enlarged thyroid gland (goitre). Goiter is visible with a swollen neck.
- Iodine deficiency may result in low levels of thyroid hormones. It:
- Can cause women to stop ovulating, leading to infertility.
- May lead to an autoimmune disease of the thyroid and may increase the risk of getting thyroid cancer.
- Increased risk of other cancers such as prostate, breast, endometrial, and ovarian cancer.
- Can lead to high blood pressure during pregnancy for the mother, and mental retardation for the baby.
- Sever Iodine deficiency can lead to cretinism, a disorder that involves severely stunted physical and mental growth.
Other Iodine Supplement Benefits(1)
Iodine supplements are useful for the following:
- To treat a skin disease caused by a fungus (cutaneous sporotrichosis).
- For treatment of fibrocystic breast disease and breast pain (mastalgia)
- Wight loss
- Prevention of breast cancer, eye disease, diabetes, and heart disease & stroke
- As an expectorant.
- For treatment of bacterial diseases such as anthrax and syphilis.
- For the treatment of skin inflammation (dermatitis) and other skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis
- To kill germs and heal wounds
- To prevent soreness inside the mouth or along the digestive tract (mucositis)
- For the treatment of diabetic and other external ulcers.
- For the treatment of gum disease (periodontitis)
- To reduce bleeding after the removal of a tooth.
- Iodine can also be used as a throat rinse to reduce symptoms of pneumonia.
- It can be utilised in the eyes to reduce swelling in infants and to prevent vision loss in patients with ulcers of the cornea.
- Iodine is used in the vagina to prevent post-Cesarean swelling of the lining of the uterus.
- Iodine is injected into a portion of the pelvis to treat a condition called chyluria.
- For water purification Iodine is used.
The best Iodine Supplement for Hypothyroidism
The primary function of Iodine is in the production of thyroid hormones by the thyroid gland. However, other organs in the body also need Iodine for their normal functioning.
You can buy the most Bio-Available or Active or the best Iodine supplement for Thyroid here on this online store. The best form of Iodine Supplements are:
Iodine Supplement Dosage
Several studies have demonstrated that the minimum amount of iodine required by our body is equivalent to 0.1 mg/kg body weight/day.
Therefore a 50kg woman needs 5 mg of Iodine Supplement on a daily basis
Best Source of Iodine Supplement: Iodine Food Supplement
The best source of Iodine Supplement is iodised salts as it helps you get a regular amount of Iodine on a daily basis.
Iodised Salt for Adults
- For an average adult, an iodised salt containing 20-40 mg of iodine per kilogram is useful.
- However, among pregnant and lactating women, iodine supplements providing 250 mcg of iodine daily or a single annual dose of 400 mg of iodised oil are recommended.
Iodised Salt for Children
For children between 7 months to 2 years, where Iodised salt is not available, supplements of providing 90 mcg of iodine daily or a single annual dose of 200 mg of iodised oil are useful.
FAQ’s on Iodine Supplement
Q1 Where to buy iodine supplements in India.
Best Iodine supplements are available in India on VitSupp. When you log into VitSupp.com, you will be delighted with the excellent range of select Iodine Supplements. We know that you have many other priorities and it will be criminal to put in front of you 20 brands of Iodine with another 20 formulations. Therefore we have pre-selected best Iodine Supplements. We only choose the best available. So that when you buy from us, you only purchase the best products available in the market. We are committed to bringing the best from across the world and delight you and your family.
Sources & References
- Iodine, MedlinePlus