In Indian kitchen, lentils play a very important role. From our kids to our grandparents all are habituated to eat lentils on daily basis. Urad dal or split white lentil is used as one of the main ingredients in Indian cuisine. It is rich in protein and vitamin B. Due to high amount of essential minerals like iron, magnesium, calcium and potassium, Urad dal is considered vital for women. High dietary fiber makes it easy to digest.
From north to south, Urad dal finds its way to many famous traditional dishes including Idly, Dosa, Uppam, etc. Farmer’s fresh brings the freshest Urad dal directly from the farms to your kitchen. Enjoy the tastes of tradition in its healthiest Avatar with Farmer’s Fresh Lentils.
Urad Dal Recipe from Chhattisgarh
In Chattisgarh, a festival is incomplete without a much appreciated dish “Bara” or “Vada”. Be it a festival of lights “Diwali” or festival of color “Holi”, it’s a tradition to prepare them hot and serve with spicy green chilly chutney. To prepare Bara, soak the Urad dal for 5-6 hours and then ground it to have a thick consistency. Now add some salt and make discs shaped Bara with your hands and deep fry them in oil. Different variations can also be tried, like adding diced onions or coriander leaves.
Health benefits of Urad Dal
While Urad dal find many uses in Indian kitchens, its health benefits cannot be ignored. Some of the important health benefits of urad dal are:
- It is rich in iron thus increases your energy level and helps to keep you active.
- Vegetarians should include this lentil to get protein rich diet for healthy bones and body.
- Both insoluble and soluble fiber makes it easy to digest.
- To get a flawless skin prepare a face mask which prevents the formation of fine lines.
- You can also apply it on your hairs as hair mask to increase the growth.